Is it just me, or are we seeing the end of the traditional employment contract as we know it?
There was a time when we firmly believed:
- Do good work and you’ll always have a job here
- You can expect to be promoted every few years
- You will get an annual salary increase
- Your boss will help prepare a development plan for you
- Do what’s in your job description and you cannot be blamed
- Do everything correctly and you will get a good rating
- A college degree will ensure you can get a good job
I am not sure any of these are reliable anymore.
Let me suggest a new deal:
- Never stop learning
- Embrace change
- Understand your customer’s needs
- Know and build on your strengths
- Exceed expectations
- Create value
- Avoid silos
- Ignore your job description; do what is needed
- Initiate job/career change according to your plan
- Embrace contingent/contract work if you can excel and grow, and you’re currently stuck
…then good things will probably happen.