Spent some time today reflecting on how blessed I have been (and still am) to have the best mentors one could ask for in my profession. I am not a self-made man; many have taught and guided me, or occasionally whacked me upside the head.
Here are those who come to mind, from the start:
- Don Schwager, who taught me that work and serving God can be one
- Jean Hornback, hired me as Personnel clerk as a student, 1985
- Jeff Robinson, said in 1985 I’d go far and I’d go fast. He was right.
- Daniel T. Carroll, consulting legend, whose words resonate since 1986
- Dr. Fraya Andrews, EMU comp professor, taught me to hit .9 r-square
- Dr. Jim Conley, told me I’m an ops guy, not staff. He was right.
- Dr. Richaurd Camp, Performance = Motivation x Ability x Opportunity
- Jack Behler, my first consulting firm boss in 1989
- Frank Zyber, bonus brother. Kelly still uses our bonus plan, globally
- Nancy Fraser, taught me the right attitudes for managing comp
- Kathy Chiaravalli, taught me all I know about international C&B and more
- Gary Chicoine, taught me to be politically astute without being political
- Gary Yezbick, great HR team builder, gave me my first manager role
- Bob Bradshaw, 100% pure comp nerd, taught me LTI basics
- Marty Shapiro, best consultant I ever had on the corporate side
- Robert Powell, friend and confidant as we lived through hell together
- Jane Romweber, gave me a chance at big firm consulting Hewitt
- Darcy Eikenberg, gifted giver of strong head medicine
- Jack Moran, true coach and friend with the right words at the right time
- Jason Jeffay, best consulting leader I’ve ever known, could sell a $1 million project in a minute
- Lori Gaytan, gave me life-changing opportunities at IHG
- Stevan Porter (RIP), truest Servant Leader I have ever known
- Ceri Ittensohn, best HR leader I ever worked with, starting with good character
- Tony South, didn’t have to, but gave moral support when I really needed it
- Dr. Fermin Diez, true friend, chairman, partner and only guy who can teach me new stuff
- Freddi Marquez Jr., my partner in the Philippines, friend, and inspiration to do the impossible
There are others who have made a big difference in my career, but these are the major influences. To all of you, thank you. I hope to inspire and help others the way you have helped me.
Who are your mentors?